The first Jury Trial utilizing the Video Technology permitted by the Interviewing of Suspects for Serious Crimes Act ended at the High Court in Kingstown yesterday with the conviction of Brenon Roberts of Barrouallie.
A release from the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions says Roberts, age; 40, was found guilty of attempted murder and breach of a Court Order.
The charges arose from an incident on April 22nd, 2013 when Roberts’s former common law wife, with whom he has had a child, was attacked at Larley Road in Barrouallie, around 9pm, and chopped several times to her head, arm and back. The release said the woman had earlier obtained a Protection order from the Family Court against Roberts, who had previously wounded her.
Justice Kathy-Ann Latchoo has adjourned the sentencing of Roberts to January 28th 2015.
The release says, under the Interviewing of Suspects for Serious Crimes Act, the Police are mandated to do electronic interviews of persons who are being investigated for specific serious offences.
The intention is that these video recorded interviews will be played in Court to the Jury, enabling Jurors to see and hear what the suspect had to say when questioned by the Police.
The video interview with Roberts was played in Court for the Jury last week, Thursday December 11th, just before the close of the Prosecution’s case.