10-16 Named Storms Predicted This Hurricane Season

The Climate Prediction Center within the United States Department of Commerce, The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has predicted that the 2016 Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 to November 30, most likely to be near-normal with a 45 percent chance, a 30 percent chance of an above-normal season and a 25 percent chance of a below-normal season.

Expected this season, a total of 10-16 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), 4 to 8 of these could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 1 to 4 major hurricanes (Category 3, 4 or 5; winds of 111 mph or higher).

In addition, the Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a 70 percent chance that La Niña, which favours more hurricane activity will be present during the peak months of hurricane season, August through October, but is uncertain as to how strong La Niña and its impacts will be.

Source: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration